Skip to main content

8 years at IISc

 

Four days ago, I completed eight years at IISc, or, in the Indian academic system. Time does fly rather fast, and I’m sure, it’ll not be long before I stand on the last working day of my career in 2050 (if I’m not dead due to an accident or a disease by then), looking back at my life on the day of my retirement. That would be the day I can look back and realize whether or not, as a researcher I made any positive impact - howsoever incremental, on the society over the 36 years of my career. Of these 36 years, 8 years have gone by, just like that, in the blink of an eye!

I’ve been wanting to write something for the past several days on my 8 years at IISc but I must play the same old, boring gramophone record again, which is – there isn’t just enough time to sit and write! I am sitting on a journal rebuttal/response letter of a student who needs to graduate soon; I am also piling up stuff on at least two manuscripts written by two other PhD students (they’ll all chew my head if they find out I’m writing this rather than reviewing their drafts!), and haven’t taken a look at a pending disclosure form, not to mention about not writing three pending project progress reports for which I’m going to get whipped from funding agencies very soon, and I need to send reviews of a few journal papers (it’s embarrassing to get repeated reminder emails from Editors!). You see that? I am sounding like a cry baby already, whining and cribbing about life as if only my life is messed up and everyone else’s life is sorted!

Anyway, the only thing I had wanted to write today about, and in a crisp manner, was that I’ve been learning and growing over the years as an academician, as a supervisor to students, and as a researcher. I am continuously learning at the cost of expensive mistakes and embarrassing situations, but I am happy about the fact that I am learning! I’ve made serious mistakes as a faculty/researcher in these 8 years, made more even more serious mistakes as an advisor to many PhD and Masters students, and have sometimes not learnt from my mistakes in the sense that, I’ve repeated a few mistakes again and again! But I am learning and growing, for sure. And making conscious efforts to not repeat any more mistakes.

Do I regret those mistakes? I should regret, but I do not, because those mistakes are defining who I am, and who I become. Those mistakes are helping me learn, correct myself and grow. Life is but a collection of decisions we take, and thus, mistakes are mostly errors in decisions which we make, in judgments which we take. I don’t want to write about my mistakes for now but one of the biggest mistakes I’ve made during my earlier years at IISc was in not being appreciative about the value of ‘time’ and being unable to grasp how precious ‘time’ really is. But now, I am very much aware of the value of ‘time’.

When I had joined IISc in 2014, I thought I was an expert in my area of research (which is gallium nitride devices), and I felt that I knew a lot about it. Wisdom starts kicking in slowly with time, and some sort of maturity sets in as one ages. Now, in 2022, I am actually smart enough to know how dumb I am. And now, I truly know that I know very little even in my own area of research! I am learning every day, technically speaking, from my peers/colleagues/students, and from reading books. And I increasingly feel that I’m a student, because there’s just an infinite amount of knowledge to acquire in the very narrow area of my own research, not to speak of any other area! And this is NOT a fake modesty, this is NOT a superficial humility. I actually know that I know very little. And this is an amazing feeling!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blabbers on a Friday (late) night Or Random s**t thoughts crossing an idle mind

 [Disclaimer: I do not own the copyright of the images below. They are obtained by randomly 'google searching'.] It’s another Friday night of the month, late night actually. It’s almost 1:30 am (and so it’s actually Saturday). And I am sober. Friday night, to most people, is the most awaited moment of the week. Why? Of course man! It’s the threshold of the highly anticipated weekend of relaxation, of spending more time with friends and family and of course of not having to deal with words like ‘boss’ or managers! Besides, who loves Monday mornings? Monday mornings are the gateways to a long week of work! And that sucks, doesn’t it? Hence, Friday nights are the times when undergrads party hard with beer, girls (for straight guys) and loud music that will probably crack the sky! Friday nights are when typical grad students seep a beer or two at a bar complaining how frustrating PhD life can be.  And I am sitting in my apartment, having finished watching ‘Love Aaj K

Sleepless nights, endless thoughts

(I wrote parts of it in February, parts of it in March, and the last part in April. So, when I say 'last month', it may mean Jan/Feb/March! As usual, grammatical bugs & typos may please be excused.) Moran is a small town in Assam, split between Sibsagar and Dibrugarh districts. It lies on the primary national highway NH-37 that runs through the state of Assam like its spinal cord.  About a month back, in the soft sunshine of a late February morning at Moran, as I was inclining against a white Toyota Innova decorated with flowers, an elderly person in his 60s approached me in his rather simple attire. I was part of a bride's envoy that was cruising between two districts separated by 7 hours' of road trip on either side of the mighty Brahmaputra, the bride in this case being my (cousin) sister. She was going to be dropped off at her in-law's place, a classic 'bride adieu' trip in our culture. The envoy had stopped at Moran to get tea and snacks, and our cu

Nine years at IISc

  I can’t believe I’m completing nine years of service at IISc. It feels like I joined the other day, sitting at the Institute ‘tower building’ with Supradeepa (who joined on the same day) to complete the paperwork and some formalities of joining. The nine years have been quite a learning, fascinating and humbling journey for me so far, professionally speaking. I’m continuously learning, unlearning and re-learning about how to interface with people, how to supervise students, how to network, how to plan and what not to do, but most importantly how to manage time. My wife will have a laugh for sure if she reads this, for, she knows I’m terrible and pathetic in managing time even now; however, compared to the ‘me’ of 2014, I know that I manage time better now 😊 So, it’s relative, you see. I wasted the first 2 to 3 years of my life at IISc without any meaningful planning, for, I was not sure of what research directions to adopt, and I procrastinated the process of ‘thinking, reading,