Skip to main content

An insomniac's rant

 

I feel good when I write. It makes me happy, calms my mind down. The train of thoughts we have and the myriad of experiences we gain every day get lost and buried under piles of stress and our inherent forgetfulness. Before we can either cherish the moments or digest the lessons they teach us, our experiences become past and recede fast into faint memories. Writing helps us re-live those memories and also enables us to learn better from seemingly unimportant incidents in our daily lives. We are able to gaze into our life more meaningfully when we write because we think back and masticate our experiences.

I often contemplate writing. And I want to write on anything which comes to my mind. It helps me understand myself better, scrutinize my activities and my thoughts, my actions and my conversations with people around me. It also helps me think about broader plans in my life, about the things which I have procrastinated (which is not a good thing) and about how I want to feel about myself when I retire, if I am alive by that age, that is.  

Scarcity of ‘time’, however, pushes my writing desire down the priority list. I guess almost everyone is super busy in modern times. There is just too much work and too little time. There is more and more volume of work at office/college or whatever our profession is, and then there’re commitments on the family front. So, ‘time’, is just precious. As technology is helping us accomplish things faster and more comfortably, the time available at our disposal also disappears proportionately because technology provides us with infinite options to spend time in entertainment or in learning.

If I spend time writing for the sake of my happiness and feel-good factor, I need to sacrifice time for some other task, some pending work perhaps – maybe revising a student’s paper, or spending less time with my toddler, maybe not respond to those emails or not get some sleep. If I sit down to write, I inherently start writing about the scarcity of time which I (we!) face, and today is no exception. It’s nearly 4 am at night (morning!) and I am burning off some sleep to write what might seem a meaningless post.

Utilizing time in the most efficient manner is a critical component for achieving success, or even for finishing one’s work on time. And this is no rocket science. But, there are quite a lot of distractions. The mobile phone is the most dangerous factor which wastes time, in my opinion, because it is the quick gateway to all kinds of information and entertainment, be it social media which feeds on our intrinsic narcissism or the gazillion news channels that flood our brains with useless and pointless information. While the internet and the cell phone have eased gathering information and learning, sometimes I wonder if it is preventing us oftentimes from indulging in fundamental thinking or in critical analysis because information is a click away. With an ever-dwindling attention span and an ever-increasing need for instant gratification, the mobile phone is perhaps a reason why we, or at least I, have not been able to come up with a more productive schedule or an efficient work-time.

Sometimes I wonder the number of human-hours the world loses due to the use of mobile phone and internet, social media etc. Even if 10% of Indian population uses social media & the internet every day for 1 hour for useless chats and IQ-degrading forwards, it amounts to 130 million human-hours per day. I wonder if 130 million human-hours or even 1% of it (1 million human-hours per day) could be put to creative, constructive and useful pursuits, our country would probably be doing spectacular in terms of art, literature, science, business, and what not.

Life is not just about productivity and development, not just about creativity and hard work, but also about being happy, being able to do what one loves doing, and being able to spend time doing nothing – someone may argue, to counter my point. Sure, I agree. Hence, it’s my opinion that we’re losing millions of human-hours every day on meaningless chats and useless polarizing political debates. And my opinion is not a Biblical truth, it’s just an opinion.

Whether we lose so many human-hours or not is secondary, what is primary is that I am losing sleep and it’s now 4:17 am. If I am able to wake up early, I can at least revise that pending paper or reply to those pending emails from various people. Perhaps in my next post, I shall try to write on more meaningful topics. But I felt good now, writing random things after a long time.

(typos/grammatical mistakes are a consequence of writing fast with a sleepy brain, and without much thinking, and doesn’t reflect my English writing quality!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blabbers on a Friday (late) night Or Random s**t thoughts crossing an idle mind

 [Disclaimer: I do not own the copyright of the images below. They are obtained by randomly 'google searching'.] It’s another Friday night of the month, late night actually. It’s almost 1:30 am (and so it’s actually Saturday). And I am sober. Friday night, to most people, is the most awaited moment of the week. Why? Of course man! It’s the threshold of the highly anticipated weekend of relaxation, of spending more time with friends and family and of course of not having to deal with words like ‘boss’ or managers! Besides, who loves Monday mornings? Monday mornings are the gateways to a long week of work! And that sucks, doesn’t it? Hence, Friday nights are the times when undergrads party hard with beer, girls (for straight guys) and loud music that will probably crack the sky! Friday nights are when typical grad students seep a beer or two at a bar complaining how frustrating PhD life can be.  And I am sitting in my apartment, having finished watching ‘Love Aaj K

Sleepless nights, endless thoughts

(I wrote parts of it in February, parts of it in March, and the last part in April. So, when I say 'last month', it may mean Jan/Feb/March! As usual, grammatical bugs & typos may please be excused.) Moran is a small town in Assam, split between Sibsagar and Dibrugarh districts. It lies on the primary national highway NH-37 that runs through the state of Assam like its spinal cord.  About a month back, in the soft sunshine of a late February morning at Moran, as I was inclining against a white Toyota Innova decorated with flowers, an elderly person in his 60s approached me in his rather simple attire. I was part of a bride's envoy that was cruising between two districts separated by 7 hours' of road trip on either side of the mighty Brahmaputra, the bride in this case being my (cousin) sister. She was going to be dropped off at her in-law's place, a classic 'bride adieu' trip in our culture. The envoy had stopped at Moran to get tea and snacks, and our cu
Board Toppers, IIT-JEE toppers & personal reflections [Oh No! Not another blog on IIT-JEE, please!] In the recent past, I’ve come across many blogs (besides debates in TV channels, newspapers, etc.) on why not to scrap the existing IIT-JEE, and a few blogs on why to support the change. These blogs are written by intellectuals and academicians of the highest caliber including professors of IIT (and other institutes), IIT alumni, present IIT students, etc. etc. and are being ‘hotly’ followed in terms of follow-up comments, debates, discussions.   I am the most unworthy person in terms of trying to write a blog on it, firstly because, I did not study in an IIT (I even failed to clear the then-existing screening test J ) and secondly, since I never studied in an IIT and do not know the level of teaching and student quality (both must be very high, I believe), hence I cannot comprehend what changes – positive or negative – the proposed change in the exam might bring i