Skip to main content

Welcome back, to myself!

7 years is a long time to have abstained from writing a blog. I maintained a blog (this one!) back in the day when I was doing my PhD, and I had named it 'Playing with Electrons' because my PhD research was to engineer devices & fabricate them wherein I'd trick the electrons to my advantage by tailoring their energy landscape. And then I stopped blogging, since Nov 2013. That's nearly 7 years. I often thought of creating a new blog but gave up on that idea for reasons I don't remember now. Finally, I thought I'd revive my old blog & continue where I had left.

Yesterday, I tried to read a few blogs I had written back in 2012/13, and I realized how much one's thoughts, expectations and understanding of things change over time. Growing old makes one wiser though not necessarily smarter - I recently read somewhere. So here I am, welcoming myself back to my old blog, growing wiser (perhaps), coached by life and shaped by experiences. 

I will try to write as often as possible, though, I must admit that 'my own time' is now a lot more limited compared to that in 2012-13. I have become slightly more effficient in managing time but still I'm a novice at this art. Lack of time is not a good excuse for not doing something. One who efficiently manages time ends up accomplishing a lot more than poor time managers like me. But then, there are so many books to read and things to dream of that reality soon catches up and pulls one down to the ground. 

It's not like that I didn't write in the last 7 years. I did write but never put anything up on my blog. I wrote short sci-fi stories, I even wrote a whole novel in 2014-15 (or 2016?) when my academic/research & family work loads were fairly light. It was my first attempt at writing a full length novel, and it ended up being an incoherent story, I realized that. Even today, I dream of writing a sci-fi novel (or novels) one day which I can publish, because it's one of those wishes buried deep in my heart. I do have quite a few plots in my mind already!

However, there's a price one has to pay for anything. Writing a novel back in 2014/15 did cost me a lot of time which I could have otherwise used for planning my research activities better, or reading up on technical books/journals, or doing some theoretical work to publish research papers. Or writing proposals to get more funds to set up lab facilities etc. Those could have helped me move up on the ladder of my research & academic career a bit more than where I am today. So, do I regret it? I don't know, frankly. I have never asked it myself. Today, if I spend even 1 hour per day to write a novel, I will spend 365 hours in a year which are precious hours for me, very much precious. I can't afford to spend that on writing novel. I spent the last 15-20 mins to write this blog. I could have spent that time to read up something technical (I've too many books to read, in technical areas, that are lying on my table, right in front of my eyes!).

So, why do I write? I write for myself, to satisfy my intellect. I write for the same reason a music lover plays a guitar at her home or a soccer enthusiast runs to the field whenever he gets a chance. I write for the same reason one watches Netflix or one does gardening. I love it. That's all. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blabbers on a Friday (late) night Or Random s**t thoughts crossing an idle mind

 [Disclaimer: I do not own the copyright of the images below. They are obtained by randomly 'google searching'.] It’s another Friday night of the month, late night actually. It’s almost 1:30 am (and so it’s actually Saturday). And I am sober. Friday night, to most people, is the most awaited moment of the week. Why? Of course man! It’s the threshold of the highly anticipated weekend of relaxation, of spending more time with friends and family and of course of not having to deal with words like ‘boss’ or managers! Besides, who loves Monday mornings? Monday mornings are the gateways to a long week of work! And that sucks, doesn’t it? Hence, Friday nights are the times when undergrads party hard with beer, girls (for straight guys) and loud music that will probably crack the sky! Friday nights are when typical grad students seep a beer or two at a bar complaining how frustrating PhD life can be.  And I am sitting in my apartment, having finished watching ‘Love Aaj K

Sleepless nights, endless thoughts

(I wrote parts of it in February, parts of it in March, and the last part in April. So, when I say 'last month', it may mean Jan/Feb/March! As usual, grammatical bugs & typos may please be excused.) Moran is a small town in Assam, split between Sibsagar and Dibrugarh districts. It lies on the primary national highway NH-37 that runs through the state of Assam like its spinal cord.  About a month back, in the soft sunshine of a late February morning at Moran, as I was inclining against a white Toyota Innova decorated with flowers, an elderly person in his 60s approached me in his rather simple attire. I was part of a bride's envoy that was cruising between two districts separated by 7 hours' of road trip on either side of the mighty Brahmaputra, the bride in this case being my (cousin) sister. She was going to be dropped off at her in-law's place, a classic 'bride adieu' trip in our culture. The envoy had stopped at Moran to get tea and snacks, and our cu
Board Toppers, IIT-JEE toppers & personal reflections [Oh No! Not another blog on IIT-JEE, please!] In the recent past, I’ve come across many blogs (besides debates in TV channels, newspapers, etc.) on why not to scrap the existing IIT-JEE, and a few blogs on why to support the change. These blogs are written by intellectuals and academicians of the highest caliber including professors of IIT (and other institutes), IIT alumni, present IIT students, etc. etc. and are being ‘hotly’ followed in terms of follow-up comments, debates, discussions.   I am the most unworthy person in terms of trying to write a blog on it, firstly because, I did not study in an IIT (I even failed to clear the then-existing screening test J ) and secondly, since I never studied in an IIT and do not know the level of teaching and student quality (both must be very high, I believe), hence I cannot comprehend what changes – positive or negative – the proposed change in the exam might bring i