Skip to main content

Applying for faculty position in India


I am looking to starting my career in India by next summer as a faculty member in some institute, preferably in the April-July window. So I would like to pen down very briefly, my experience in this process so far.

I finished my PhD quite recently (August 2013) and started looking for faculty positions in India a couple of months before graduation. So I decided not to work in the USA, a very bold move indeed. As of now, I am working as a post-doc in the same group where I did my PhD, finishing some pending work and trying to get some papers published before I heed back to India next year. I decided not to go for industry in USA because I believe I am not made for industry. Working during some fixed schedule such as 9 am-6 pm from Monday to Friday with a week’s vacation in a year, staying too far from family – doesn’t work for me. I love my independence, and freedom to work on my own, and the ability to buy groceries together with my dad in Golaghat (Assam) or to go and hug my sister in Guwahati anytime of the year without taking those 16-24 hour long tedious flights and standing in queue for immigration and customs. Faculty position in India hence naturally fits it better than other jobs. A 2 to 3 year post doc in USA would have perhaps helped, but I didn’t want to do that either for multiple reasons.

The first thing I learnt about faculty application process in India is that, it takes some amount of time, just like in almost any other job. So joining as a faculty immediately after PhD is not very feasible, at least if one wishes to get a few offers in hand before deciding. Some institutes wouldn’t want to process the application until I received my PhD.

Since I am an experimentalist and require fairly expensive equipments and cleanroom space to do research, the range of institutes I could apply to in India were limited. When I say ‘apply’, I mean writing to the concerned department chairs/heads expressing my interest for a faculty position. I applied to five institutes whose names I will not reveal to be politically correct. All these five institutes are some of the best and most prestigious in India, and known world-wide. As my advisor puts it – I would not be able to rank one above the other. Each of these five has its own strengths.

One institute rejected my application straightaway, and of the remaining four, I visited each of them for face-to-face interview with faculty members and to give presentation on my work, typical in any faculty interview. The responding of my emails by all the institutes was very prompt, fast, and courteous and welcoming except for the department of one particular institute where I had emailed to repeatedly and yet I had failed to get any reply. Hence I decided to apply to a different department in the same institute, and surprisingly got very prompt, warm and efficient replies. When I visited, I was given very nice treatment at each of these places. I was totally overwhelmed and humbled by the hospitality of the faculty of each place. The respect and warmth of reception I received from the faculty really made me a fan of all the four places. They had all assured me of all support they can afford, start-up grants, and help me open a research center in my area of expertise. I must stress that the attitude of the people at each of these places was extremely welcoming, and except for one institute (say X), expressed their keen interest in having me in their department. However, a few faculty members X were somewhat cold to me – I felt, and one of them even tried to belittle my work openly. But that is an exception. Nonetheless, the overall experience from all the institutes was one of high level of satisfaction, sheer joy and a re-affirmation of my own belief that I had indeed taken a right choice by deciding to relocate to India for faculty position. The vibes were so feel-good and positive and the promise was so strong, that I felt like starting right away instead of waiting till next summer!


Thus is the story so far. To be politically correct, I shall not comment on the current status of my application in each one of these institutes. I have been very pleased (and fortunate) and happy at the way the application process turned out to be, in a relatively short period of time. I am very glad at the pace of the process, at the overall experience I had achieved in the process corresponding to each one of these institutes. And I am eagerly looking forward to joining one of these four prestigious institutes next summer 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blabbers on a Friday (late) night Or Random s**t thoughts crossing an idle mind

 [Disclaimer: I do not own the copyright of the images below. They are obtained by randomly 'google searching'.] It’s another Friday night of the month, late night actually. It’s almost 1:30 am (and so it’s actually Saturday). And I am sober. Friday night, to most people, is the most awaited moment of the week. Why? Of course man! It’s the threshold of the highly anticipated weekend of relaxation, of spending more time with friends and family and of course of not having to deal with words like ‘boss’ or managers! Besides, who loves Monday mornings? Monday mornings are the gateways to a long week of work! And that sucks, doesn’t it? Hence, Friday nights are the times when undergrads party hard with beer, girls (for straight guys) and loud music that will probably crack the sky! Friday nights are when typical grad students seep a beer or two at a bar complaining how frustrating PhD life can be.  And I am sitting in my apartment, having finished watching ‘Love Aaj K

Sleepless nights, endless thoughts

(I wrote parts of it in February, parts of it in March, and the last part in April. So, when I say 'last month', it may mean Jan/Feb/March! As usual, grammatical bugs & typos may please be excused.) Moran is a small town in Assam, split between Sibsagar and Dibrugarh districts. It lies on the primary national highway NH-37 that runs through the state of Assam like its spinal cord.  About a month back, in the soft sunshine of a late February morning at Moran, as I was inclining against a white Toyota Innova decorated with flowers, an elderly person in his 60s approached me in his rather simple attire. I was part of a bride's envoy that was cruising between two districts separated by 7 hours' of road trip on either side of the mighty Brahmaputra, the bride in this case being my (cousin) sister. She was going to be dropped off at her in-law's place, a classic 'bride adieu' trip in our culture. The envoy had stopped at Moran to get tea and snacks, and our cu
Board Toppers, IIT-JEE toppers & personal reflections [Oh No! Not another blog on IIT-JEE, please!] In the recent past, I’ve come across many blogs (besides debates in TV channels, newspapers, etc.) on why not to scrap the existing IIT-JEE, and a few blogs on why to support the change. These blogs are written by intellectuals and academicians of the highest caliber including professors of IIT (and other institutes), IIT alumni, present IIT students, etc. etc. and are being ‘hotly’ followed in terms of follow-up comments, debates, discussions.   I am the most unworthy person in terms of trying to write a blog on it, firstly because, I did not study in an IIT (I even failed to clear the then-existing screening test J ) and secondly, since I never studied in an IIT and do not know the level of teaching and student quality (both must be very high, I believe), hence I cannot comprehend what changes – positive or negative – the proposed change in the exam might bring i