Skip to main content

The irony of living at this time in human history


My writings are always from a technological/scientific perspective. So my understanding and comments on human lifestyle and civilization or on anything for that matter have NOTHING to do with philosophical, literary, societal, religious, poetic, political and economic changes that have happened to human civilization. It’s all about how science & technology changes our lives. As a matter of fact, science & technology bring change to societal, political, economic, literary, poetic, religious and philosophical ways of our lives, and not the other way round. Challenge me with data, statistics, logical analyses and concrete examples if I need to be proven wrong. 


As I had written in my preceding blog, there’s only one human civilization on this planet (as far as history goes) and so there’s only a singular path of progress from its dawn till 2012 AD. Put it simply, human species have evolved in only one way, and there’s only one known planet which is earth where we know of intelligent species. Thus, we lack any kind of reference to which we can compare and comment if our progress has been on a faster or a slower rate. Pause. However, the rate of progress itself has been increasing as far as we can discern. Let’s put a simple example. How would a person living in the 1st century AD find the world different if he/she were to wake up in 1100 AD? What things were radically different to human lifestyle in 1100 AD which were totally absent or unthinkable in 100 AD? To my knowledge, nothing much! May be the kind of dresses and clothes, kind of utensils, kind of food, what else? Columbus was yet to sail across the Atlantic and the Renaissance was yet to begin. So two persons separated by huge time duration of 1000 years would find no radical difference in the ways of their lives! Really, human civilization’s progress can never be so slow! Or am I missing something? I had asked this question to many of my fellow PhD students and everyone seems to agree that YES, the 1000 years from 100 AD to 1100 AD did not alter the human civilization any radically or drastically in a way in which we lived our lives. If I plot the progress of human civilization (some arbitrary quantity ‘x’ with respect to time, then from 100 AD to 1100 AD, I would draw an almost straight line with a slope of near zero.


A person who lived during 1100 AD comes to life in 1900 AD, let us assume. Damn! He/she would find the world a place of pure magic! Why won’t he/she? Of course. There’re these automobiles which run so fast, there’re trains which run on steam engines, there’s balloons on which people go up in sky and people would be almost close to flying in airplanes! Bizarre things like electromagnetic waves, radio, and telephone would be there. The person from 1100 AD would be so amazed to use the telescope and see the Jupiter and its moons, and use the microscope to see germs invisible to his/her naked eye! He/she could speak using a telephone to someone across the ocean whom he/she couldn’t see! He/she would be so amazed at the incandescent bulb. All these are scientific and technological. Add to these the massive societal, philosophical, literary and religious changes which the Renaissance would have brought in. So these 900 years separating 1100 AD to 1900 AD were visibly very progressive years, for drastic changes did happen to how we lived our lives and how much we knew about nature in a more factual and logical way.


And finally I don’t need a person of 1900 AD to come to life in 2012 AD. In fact, many people from 1910s and 1920s are still living today, and although I have never asked any such person about how he/she feels about the difference in our world from 1930s to 2012, yet, I know myself how it feels to witness the dramatic changes in the ways of our lifestyle in the last 23 or 24 years (assuming my consciousness and ability to remember events germinated while I was 3 to 4 years old). I have lived my life at a time when having a color TV in your locality was a matter of serious prestige, and when using a dial-up telephone was a rarity! In fact, I was in Nursery/Kindergarten when I first ‘saw’ a telephone in one of my aunt’s places and I boasted to my school friends for a long time that I had the fortune of ‘seeing’ a telephone! If my dad captured a few pictures of important family occasions or gatherings or festivals etc. using his then-prevalent ‘non-digital’ camera, I would be waiting impatiently for the day when all the 36 copies of the photo-reel would be exhausted so that he could get the photo-reel developed in a studio and then I could see if my eyes were closed while he clicked my photo! It could be a few weeks to a couple of months before the reel was developed, and I had to wait till then. The Doordarshan (India’s national Television broadcasting) program of Chitrahaar every Wednesday evening (I think it was 8 pm) was the only time in the week when I could watch Hindi/Bollywood songs and that too if load shedding did not disappoint! I get goose bumps ruminating my days from 1990 to 2012, and how technology has changed our way of life in ways we could have possibly not thought of in 1990. Obviously then, a person born in 1930s and still living today would see it as a super fast progress (?) of human civilization over the last 70 or 80 years. The rate of progress is indeed increasing. And so if I do not die in an accident or in a gun-shoot out or bomb blast or do not develop an incurable disease and I manage to live for the next 40 years till 2052 (with a higher possibility that I might die sooner due to health complicacies given I’m highly overweight and with a diabetic tendency), then, I will be fortunate (?) to see what unseen and unpredicted changes technology and science bring about to change our lives in ways we can only imagine now. More fortunate, hopefully, I would be to think of as well as to take pride of the fact that I being a researcher of technology, took part in this journey of trying to find out new things and applying them to useful technologies (although my contributions would be nearly zero).  


Ironically, living my childhood days in late 80s and early 90s in a God-forsaken remote place of Assam (which itself is a ‘remote’ (?) state in India), I enjoyed some rare privileges which are almost non-existent today. That reminds me of my conversation with a guy from India a couple of days back (August, 2012) whom I had met at the badminton courts here at the Ohio State University. He exclaimed “Oh, so remote! You come from Assam!” when I told him I am from Assam. Funny, I thought, at least in 2012. Anyways, I think I am indeed super lucky that living in that God-forsaken place in early 1990s provided me with some memories that are sharper than anything else till now although I was just a child then! And I feel deeply saddened to ponder that such privileges and opportunities are so extremely difficult to enjoy these days, and no matter how much I try, I cannot get those back!  What is it exactly?


Have you ever had the rare privilege of staring for hours at a completely cloudless and moonless sky at night, with absolutely no artificial light around? Not even a candle, not even a single light bulb or street-lamp, not even a flash light – nothing with a radius of few tens of miles. But total and all-engulfing darkness where you cannot even see own hands properly, for starlight is so dim! The view of uncountable stars dotting such a moonless, cloudless and no-artificial-light-around night sky is a state of bliss incomparable to anything else! At least to me. No scenic beauty which I have ever seen in my life till now can be simultaneously so mesmerizing, intoxicating, captivating and breath-taking as such a starry sky on a moonless and cloudless night.  It gives a humbling feeling of how tiny we are, how grand the ‘sky’ is and how mysterious nature is.  And I fell in love with the constellations of Orion and Great Bear even when I was just seven years old, and kept gazing in awe, nights after nights, at the Milky Way which painted itself across the starry night as a faint, nebulous white strip. Actually, I am not sure how many kids today have seen the Milky Way on a night sky. Street-lamps and artificial lights from all around are so annoyingly ubiquitous now that even when I am back to my home in Assam now, I cannot get a glimpse of the night sky anywhere similar to what I had got 20 years back. Even if there’s load-shedding on a moonless, cloudless night, the inverters in almost all the houses (including mine!!) kick in instantaneously, lighting up the whole neighborhood and blurring up the starry sky. Will I ever get that chance again in my life? Will you get such a chance? And if you have not experienced it yet, you’re missing something really breath-taking in your life.


The irony of living at this time in history, in 2012, to a researcher/engineer like me is that I have seen the exponential changes in our lifestyle brought about by technology in a rather small duration of time, yet, I do realize that technology is actually, beginning to saturate. All these fun gadgets like iPhone and iPads, and all these fancy stuffs like Facebook, Twitter – all these are mere by-products of the massive sweeps of technological breakthroughs in 1950s, 60s and 70s. The consumer-driven industry run by a handful of super smart people has successfully managed to keep millions of people in a state of utopia and fantasy by making them believe that technology is rapidly accelerating while in reality, everything we are boasting of today in the technology domain are mere by-products of the communication theories by Shannon in 1940s (how many of us know that cell-phones & other communicating gadgets owe tremendously to him!), the transistor by Shockley et al, the contributions by Turing towards computer science, the semiconductor laser, the IC by Noyce. They generated the tide of dramatic changes that swept mankind for the next 40-50 years. The face of mankind got changed in a way never before, but the time is now ripe for fundamental breakthroughs which can generate another such unprecedented wave of accelerated growth of human civilization. It is high time we realize that all the fancy changes in so-called technology are mere incremental progress. But the irony of this irony is that, even the existing technology, albeit incremental, has not reached out to all the people of the world! The benefits and advantages of all these awe-inspiring technological gadgets have yet not been able to reach to remote places in under-developed and developing countries, and thus, a fraction of mankind still are deprived of the magic which is unfolding at this time of human history.


3:30 am on Monday is indeed a bad time to write a blog.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blabbers on a Friday (late) night Or Random s**t thoughts crossing an idle mind

 [Disclaimer: I do not own the copyright of the images below. They are obtained by randomly 'google searching'.] It’s another Friday night of the month, late night actually. It’s almost 1:30 am (and so it’s actually Saturday). And I am sober. Friday night, to most people, is the most awaited moment of the week. Why? Of course man! It’s the threshold of the highly anticipated weekend of relaxation, of spending more time with friends and family and of course of not having to deal with words like ‘boss’ or managers! Besides, who loves Monday mornings? Monday mornings are the gateways to a long week of work! And that sucks, doesn’t it? Hence, Friday nights are the times when undergrads party hard with beer, girls (for straight guys) and loud music that will probably crack the sky! Friday nights are when typical grad students seep a beer or two at a bar complaining how frustrating PhD life can be.  And I am sitting in my apartment, having finished watching ‘Love Aaj K

Sleepless nights, endless thoughts

(I wrote parts of it in February, parts of it in March, and the last part in April. So, when I say 'last month', it may mean Jan/Feb/March! As usual, grammatical bugs & typos may please be excused.) Moran is a small town in Assam, split between Sibsagar and Dibrugarh districts. It lies on the primary national highway NH-37 that runs through the state of Assam like its spinal cord.  About a month back, in the soft sunshine of a late February morning at Moran, as I was inclining against a white Toyota Innova decorated with flowers, an elderly person in his 60s approached me in his rather simple attire. I was part of a bride's envoy that was cruising between two districts separated by 7 hours' of road trip on either side of the mighty Brahmaputra, the bride in this case being my (cousin) sister. She was going to be dropped off at her in-law's place, a classic 'bride adieu' trip in our culture. The envoy had stopped at Moran to get tea and snacks, and our cu
Board Toppers, IIT-JEE toppers & personal reflections [Oh No! Not another blog on IIT-JEE, please!] In the recent past, I’ve come across many blogs (besides debates in TV channels, newspapers, etc.) on why not to scrap the existing IIT-JEE, and a few blogs on why to support the change. These blogs are written by intellectuals and academicians of the highest caliber including professors of IIT (and other institutes), IIT alumni, present IIT students, etc. etc. and are being ‘hotly’ followed in terms of follow-up comments, debates, discussions.   I am the most unworthy person in terms of trying to write a blog on it, firstly because, I did not study in an IIT (I even failed to clear the then-existing screening test J ) and secondly, since I never studied in an IIT and do not know the level of teaching and student quality (both must be very high, I believe), hence I cannot comprehend what changes – positive or negative – the proposed change in the exam might bring i